Table of Contents
- How Do I Remove Lag In GTA 5?
- Fixing GTA V Lag For Console Gamers (PS4 & Xbox One)
- How To Fix Lag in GTA 5 Low-End Pc?
- Video Guide
GTA5 is an excellent game with a superb online multiplayer mode, even nearly ten years after its initial release, GTA 5’s online multiplayer mode still maintains momentum and is quite popular.
However, GTA 5’s online lobby experience can occasionally be ruined by lag, which causes players to hop about or freeze on screen, rendering online missions and battles challenging and ruining the fun of the game. For PC gamers, especially those who play GTA V online, a low frame rate, or FPS, is another prevalent complaint. Characters and vehicles frequently jitter on screen, resulting in a choppy and unpleasant experience.
Here are some suggestions for improving the game’s frame rate and fixing GTA 5’s stuttering lag. You’re not the only one experiencing this strange GTA 5 stuttering, so relax. Many players are reporting this problem; thus the good news is that most fixes are simple, so let’s begin.
How Do I Remove Lag In GTA 5?
GTA 5 skips frames or lags behind a bit and it stutters in the middle of the game or whenever you launch it on your computer. Worry not; here’s a few easy-to-apply methods that you can try to get rid of these performance issues.
- Specs Required
- Run as Administrator
- Driver Update for Graphics Card
- Try to restrict the FPS
- Disable the Full-Screen Optimization
- Reduce the graphics quality
- Turn off Vsync
- Using Software from Third Parties
Your computer must meet the minimum requirements to run GTA V. If not, you can have performance problems, including stuttering, freezing, and crashing. According to Rockstar (Developer of GTA), the minimum system requirements for GTA V are as follows:
- OS: 64-bit Windows Vista
- CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz or Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
- RAM: 4GB
- GPU: AMD Radeon HD 4870 or NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
- HDD: 65GB of Free Hard Drive Space;
- DirectX: 10
It would be best if you were not running GTA V on a Core 2 Quad, which is now ten years old.
Run As Administrator
It may stutter if GTA V cannot access specific game files in user mode on the system. See if the issue is fixed by trying to play the game as the administrator. Here is how to go about it:
- Select the game’s installation folder, GTA 5.
- Select Properties by right-clicking on the Launcher file.
- Select Run this program in Compatibility mode as an administrator. Hit OK. Check to see if the problem is fixed by restarting GTA 5.
Driver Update For Graphics Card
Your computer’s outdated or damaged graphics driver may be the source of GTA V stuttering. Improve your GPU driver to the most popular update to solve the issue.
- Find the most recent driver compatible with your Windows version by visiting the manufacturer’s website for your graphics card. Double-click the downloaded driver file to install it on your computer after downloading it.
- Restart your computer after the update is finished, then see if GTA V functions appropriately.
Try To Restrict The FPS
The high FPS can bring on the lag and stuttering issues in GTA 5. So try adjusting the game’s FPS cap. Additionally, you might want to disable extended distance scaling because it uses more video memory.
- Navigate to GTA V Settings.
- Click on advanced graphics.
- Find Extended Distance Scaling and make it the lowest possible.
- To limit your FPS, go to Graphics > Refresh Rate and set it to 60Hz or less.
- Restart the game after saving your changes to make sure.
Disable the Full-Screen Optimization
Full-screen gameplay frequently requires additional graphics and memory resources. Therefore, it is advised to turn off the full-screen optimization options in those circumstances.
- Access the GTA 5 game folder.
- Locate the GTA5.exe file and then choose Properties from the context menu.
- Check the box next to Disable full-screen optimizations on the Compatibility tab. To save your changes, click Apply and OK.
- Check to check whether the issue has been addressed by relaunching the game.
Reduce The Graphics Quality
It goes without saying that if you turn up the game’s graphics settings, it will require far more RAM and video memory. You might occasionally see game shuttering if your setup isn’t graphically intensive. Make sure you lower the graphics settings as follows to fix this:
- Select the GTA V Settings.
- Select Graphics.
- After that, scroll down and select “Normal” for the following settings:
- To stop the lagging, click Save and then restart the game. The apps listed below can help you if you still experience sporadic frame drops.
Turn off Vsync
Vsync, which stands for Vertical Sync, is a display option available in several 3D PC games that enables players to match the frame rate with the refresh rate of their monitor to lessen screen tearing. In GTA 5, you can disable Vsync to see if it makes a difference.
- Navigate to GTA 5 Settings.
- Choose Graphics.
- Locate VSync and disable it.
- Try turning it ON if it’s already OFF, then restart your game and turn VSync OFF again.
Using Software From Third Parties
The game parameters are modified with the Riva Tuner Statistic Software to match your PC’s capabilities. So feel free to download and extract the program to a handy spot. Next, choose GTA5.exe from the list on the left, and then disable the following options:
- Stealth Mode
- Custom Direct3D Support
- On-Screen Display Support
Fixing GTA V Lag For Console Gamers (PS4 & Xbox One)
Here are some recommendations for reducing lag in GTA V that are more focused on console users of the PS3/4 and Xbox 360/Xbox One, as well as the following PS5 and Xbox X systems. What you can do to minimise lag on various consoles is as follows:
As in the short steps above, try restarting and hard resetting your console and router.
If possible, switch from Wi-Fi to wired connections by utilizing a long Ethernet cable or the power line adapter, as demonstrated above.
Changing DNS Settings Is A Divisive Topic
In reality, changing your DNS settings to Google DNS (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52) or another provider may, in rare examples, deliver better speeds to the point where you are no longer lagging if you have deficient download and upload speeds with your current settings and this are causing you to lag on GTA V.
Here are the instructions in very brief form for PS4 users (the Xbox One users must complete them at the router level):
- Open settings of the Network. Establish an Internet connection.
- Choose Manual.
- Until you reach the DNS Settings, proceed through every setting similarly.
- In DNS, Change to manual.
- Enter the Google DNS addresses in the two fields (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11).
- Complete the setup, then test the connection to see whether the speeds have improved.
Put Your Console In The DMZ
By fully opening up your console to the internet and setting it on Open NAT Type for the most significant connection, removing any firewall filtering, and putting it in the DMZ portion of your router, you can also help with connections to other online gamers.
From the Connection Settings menu, take note of your console’s MAC address.
- Click DMZ Settings in your router after logging in.
- Put your console’s MAC address in the DMZ, save your settings, and then leave.
- For Open NAT Type, your console is now wholly accessible to the internet.
Note: While using DMZ is considered safe for gaming consoles, it is not typically considered safe for PCs or other devices. The PS4 and Xbox gaming consoles are the only ones for which we advise using this option.
Using Quality Of Service/Quality Of Service Settings
If you are experiencing lag on a busy home network where several users are trying to access the internet simultaneously, this might be a very beneficial choice.
Here is a very brief rundown of the general quality of service configuration steps:
- Take note of your gaming console’s MAC address (found in the Connection Settings/Status menus).
- Utilise your router’s IP address to log in (often 192.168.0.1 or .1.1 at the end).
- The username and password for the router (see here for help if stuck logging in).
- If available, locate the quality of service settings (not on all routers).
- Make sure the Priority is set to Maximum or Highest, and enter (or choose) your console’s MAC address.
It instructs your router to handle the traffic needs of your console before any other users on the home network, hopefully minimizing slowness during periods of high usage.
How To Fix Lag in GTA 5 Low-End Pc?
Here are a few quick and easy techniques you can try to cure GTA 5’s lag and lessen the game’s shuttering. To compare the before and after optimized FPS, the first attempt put each strategy into practice.
- Unparking your CPU Cores
- Use Cheat Engine to Speed Up GTA 5
- Installing FPS and Stability Booster Mod
- Best Settings for GTA 5 Lag Fix and Boost FPS
- Updating your Graphics Card Drivers to Fix Lag in GTA 5
- Steam Launch Optimization
- Disable your Antivirus
- Use Kill Ping to Reduce Game Ping
Let’s examine each technique in more detail and discuss how you may put them into practice on your end.
Unparking your CPU Cores
Unparking the CPU cores is one of the simplest ways to boost PC speed, reducing lag in Grand Theft Auto 5. By default, Windows parks the CPU cores, which results in subpar performance when compared to the performance of unparked cores. The Quick CPU Core Manager zip file can be downloaded. Run the setup to complete the PC installation.
The Quick CPU Core program is found on your computer’s desktop. Run it, set the turbo boost index, frequency scaling, and core parking index percentages to 100% each, and then apply it.
Now launch your game and enjoy playing it without any lag. Be aware that your PC can get a little warm or that your laptop’s battery might start to deplete quickly.
Use Cheat Engine To Speed Up GTA 5
Cheat Engine helps to speed up the frames per second so that we can play the game a little bit more comfortably, but it does not assist in lessening the lag in the game. Additionally, the game’s audio track will play a little faster.
Just keep in mind that cheat engines are not used as hacking tools. At shoutMeBack, we never advocate for criminal activity or hacking. Only using cheat engines for instructional purposes.
Installing FPS And Stability Booster Mod
FPS and stability booster mod script can also be used to fix visuals that won’t load. One of its main advantages is the ability to use this mod while playing GTA V online. This is an entirely secure and safe way.
To run the FPS and Stability mod script, follow these steps:
- Download the mod from the website to get started. Use the WinRar or WinZip programs to extract the zip folder.
- Once the zip file has been extracted, launch GTA 5. Once your game is minimized, go to the extracted folder.
- You will discover the a.bat file in the folder. Run it and wait until it says, “Press any key to proceed.”
- To eliminate lag, press any key, and the bat file will begin to work. All done, now play GTA 5 without lag.
Best Settings For GTA 5 Lag Fix And Boost FPS
One essential option for us as a Rockstar developer is to improve our GTA V game smoother and eliminate lag in the Graphics Settings.
It advises disabling fullscreen optimization and turning on the high DPI setting for the GTA V program before experimenting with in-game settings optimization.
Updating Your Graphics Card Drivers To Fix Lag In GTA 5
If you have a higher graphics card and your game is still lagging, it may be because your graphics card’s drivers are outdated. Update the card driver. You can update it manually by going to your device manager, selecting your graphic card driver, and selecting “Update” from the context menu.
Steam Launch Optimization
This optimization section advice is only functional if you are using Steam to play Grand Theft Auto V. You can experiment with the many start instructions available on Steam to lessen lag in any game, including GTA 5, etc.
Disable Your Antivirus
Antivirus software uses many memory and CPU resources, even running in the background. You should turn off your antivirus program before playing Grand Theft Auto V. You can experience latency while playing GTA 5 because both applications (Antivirus software and GTA 5) consume many resources.
Windows Defender Security, which is used for real-time security, uses many resources in the background.
Use Kill Ping to Reduce Game Ping
If you’re having ping problems while playing GTA V online, your network connectivity may be the problem. Reboot your router, then try playing it again.
If the issue persists, you can try using the Kill Ping Service, which lowers the ping in many online games. To maintain a good path when transferring data packets from their server to gaming servers, Kill Ping has a variety of servers.
Can 8 GB RAM run GTA 5?
Your computer must meet the game’s system requirements to run GTA 5. 8 GB of RAM is advised for use in RAM.
What is the best GTA V graphics mod?
GTA 5 Redux, which offers stunning graphics and is free, is one of the best GTA V graphics mods. However, without hardware improvements, such as more RAM or a swap to an i7 processor.
How do I get 60 FPS in GTA V?
Try reducing texture resolution and adjusting your graphics settings to get a higher frame rate if you place a premium on smooth gaming, however, by running GTA V on an SSD rather than an HDD, overclocking your CPU, or taking other measures to speed up and clean up your PC.
What graphics card can play GTA V?
Even though GTA V may be played on 1GB cards like AMD HD, 4870, more potent 2GB graphics cards like Nvidia GTX 660 are suggested for smoother gameplay.
What is MSAA in GTA V settings?
Anti-aliasing (smoothing out pixels in digital photos), and MSSA (Multisample Anti-Aliasing), can be enabled in GTA V’s settings. Choosing MSAA over FXAA (Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing) can improve FPS and other aspects of the performance of your gaming system.
So, these were some tips related to the GTA v lag and stuttering solution. Hope these fixes have been beneficial. Do let us know which one managed to work out best in your case.